Plan a dinner party or late lunch for a fine winter’s day; set up the patio heater or chiminea for warmth, and play around with seasonal table decorations. Think about it as a chance to get together with friends you haven’t seen for a while and make the most of your outdoor dining space.
To help you with your next outdoor dinner party, we’ve found three deliciously easy winter BBQ recipes* that will thrill your taste buds and wow your guests.
Simple Tumeric Chicken Skewers
600g chicken thighs, cut into 2.5cm pieces
2 tsp dried turmeric
1 tsp dried cumin
1 tsp dried coriander
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 whole lime, cut into wedges
- Combine all ingredients and marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for four to twelve hours.
- Soak the bamboo skewers in warm water for an hour, then thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers.
- Chargrill on the BBQ until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with lime wedges.
Baked Beetroot & Pumpkin Salad
9 whole baby beetroot unpeeled with tops trimmed; reserve the tender inside leaves for the salad.
200g goat’s cheese or goat’s curd
2 tbsp fresh dill
1 stick celery sliced
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Cut up a number of pieces of cooking foil, each large enough to wrap one beetroot.
- Wrap each beetroot with half a teaspoon of butter and a little salt and pepper in a piece of foil and place on a baking tray in a 180-degree oven for about 30 mins, or until tender.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, push the remaining stalks off and rub the skin off. Cut into quarters or halves.
- Cut the pumpkin into 4cm pieces, lightly coat in oil and season with salt and pepper, then roast in the BBQ or oven until tender, approx. 30 to 40 minutes.
- Make the dressing in a bowl by mixing the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Add the beetroot, celery and washed beetroot leaves.
- Crumble cheese over the salad and sprinkle the dill over the top.
Roast Sirloin with Mustard Crust & Potato Gratin
1.5kg sirloin steak with most of the fat trimmed
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp sea salt
1/2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup wholegrain mustard
2 cup freshly made coarse breadcrumbs
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsp sea salt
50g melted butter
- Combine the Dijon, olive oil, salt and pepper and rub all over the meat, placing it on a rack over a baking dish, fat side up.
- Combine all the crust ingredients in a food processor or mix well in a bowl and cover the top of the meat, pushing the crust down firmly.
- Place in a pre-heated BBQ, with no heat directly under the baking dish, and cook for approx. 1 hour. Check to see if the meat is cooked. It may need another 20 minutes or so. If the crust begins to burn, cover it with foil.
- Rest the meat, loosely covered with foil, for 10-15 minutes then slice at the table and serve with potato and parmesan gratin and a green salad.
*All recipes are sourced from AussieBarbie.com.au.
If you’ve enjoyed this blog article and would like to find others similar to it, you can do so by clicking on the link below.